- Atomicity: One idea per note.
- Autonomy: Self-contained - you can read notes on their own.
- Always add topics and links
- Spend time connecting notes and building navigation, for example by writing TOC’s (table of contents).
- Use your own words if you have the time, but don’t be afraid to collect summaries, notes and quotes.
- Keep references.
- Don’t worry about structure (develops organically).
- Keep files up to date (use git to version them).
- Add notes without fear: you can’t have too much notes.
See also the practical zettelkasten formatting rules.