⚒︎ Work in progressArticle might be incomplete, a placeholder or an early draft.
There are many names for the kind of leadership I enjoy:
- Servant Leadership (Scrum)
- Host Leadership (“I’m not a servant, I am a host!”)
- Coach Leadership
- Participatory Leadership (Art of Hosting)
- Clear Leadership
- Dialogic Leadership
- Conversational Leadership
While there are many differences to all these forms, they share some common themes:
- Support the autonomy, competence and connection of employees.
- Support structured self-organization.
- Emphasize people skills such as listening and dialogue.
- Includes people, diversity and encourages everybody to contribute.
- Lead by shaping the context, not the content.
- Sense and Respond.
This is in contrast with the visionary, heroic leader, that:
- Is an expert on content.
- Has extensive knowledge and experience in the domain he/she leads.
- Asks advice, but makes the decisions.
- Without the leader, employees would not know what to do.
- Command and Control.