A selection of books, articles and videos that inspire my work.
Table of contents
- Circling & Surrendered Leadership
- Nonviolent Communication
- Theory U
- Teal Organizations
- Deliberately Developmental Organizations
- Developmental Psychology
- Integral Theory
- Therapy & Coaching
- Organization Development
- Management & Business Strategy
Agile, Scrum and Lean
Circling & Surrendered Leadership
Circling is an intersubjective meditation practice where you share with each other what’s happening right here, right now. It fosters presence, aliveness and connection and is an integral container for transformative personal growth.
- What is Circling? (YouTube video)
- What is Circling? (Email series)
- Circling Nijmegen: I’m facilitating biweekly Circling Nights.
- Circling Europe: I’ve been trained here, and have facilitated some events.
- Circle Anywhere: Platform for online Circling.
Nonviolent Communication is a communication model and way of life developed by Marshall Rosenberg. It teaches a compassionate perspective that transforms the relation with yourself and others. It is applied in prisons, schools, business and personal life to increase emotional intelligence, improve relationship, create connection and resolve conflict.
- Connecting2Life - Yoram Mosenzon (website): My teacher - highly recommended!
- Vulnerably Honesty - Yoram Mosenzon (TEDx Talk)
- Nonviolent Communication - Marshall Rosenberg (book): The official book is a great introduction.
- Demonstration - Marshall Rosenberg (YouTube)
- 3 hour workshop - Marshall Rosenberg (YouTube)
- Mediate your life: Their Training Manual features succinct and powerful maps to practice Nonviolent Communication and navigate various situations. Highly recommended for trainers. Their book series provide an excellent job in explaining the maps in the Training Manual step by step.
- Compassion Course: A global and yearlong course in compassion. You receive an e-mail with theory and exercise every week, and you can connect with over 6000 fellow students using a private Facebook Group.
Friends and colleagues:
- Marianne van Dijk: Cup of Empathy (YouTube videos)
- Cara Crisler: Crisler Coaching
- Loes Berkhout: Verbindwerk
- Astara Lieuw-On: Communiceren met compassie
Meditation is a wide range of mental exercises that train attention, feeling and body awareness. Meditation has many benefits, such as increased concentration, clarity, compassion and emotional resilience.
- The Mind Illuminated
- Shinzen Young
- Manual of Insight
- 10-day vipassana retreat
- Wake Up
Theory U describes leadership capacities and processes for transformational organizational and societal change. The process works with the awareness or consciousness of the participants. It facilitating a letting go of old habits and dynamics to create space for something truely new and creative to emerge.
- 2 page introduction - Otto Scharmer
- Executive Summary - Otto Scharmer
- Theory U - Otto Scharmer (book)
- Theory U - Otto Scharmer (book)
- Mapping the Integral U: The founders of Theory U (Otto Scharmer) and Integral Theory (Ken Wilber) discuss how Theory U relates to Integral Theory.
As humans develop over time, so do the organizations we create. A Teal Organization is a new management paradigm that is emerging in the world. This new paradigm is based on three breakthroughs. In the words of Frederic Laloux:
- Self-management: “Teal Organizations have found the key to upgrading their structures from hierarchical, bureaucratic pyramids to powerful and fluid systems of distributed authority and collective intelligence.”
- Wholeness: “Organizations have always been places that encourage people to show up with a narrow professional self. Teal Organizations have developed a consistent set of practices that invite us to drop the mask, reclaim our inner wholeness, and bring all of who we are to work.”
- Evolutionary purpose: “Teal Organizations are seen as having a life and sense of direction of their own. Instead of trying to predict and control the future, members of the organizations are invited to listen and understand what the organization is drawn to become, where it naturally wants to go.”
While working at YouBeDo, we’ve transitioned to a Teal Organization. This experience has been tremendously exciting, rewarding, insightful and powerful.
- Reinventing Organizations - Frederic Laloux: Download the book, Pay what you want afterwards. Or order a physical copy at YouBeDo and donate to charity.
- Reinventing Organizations Wiki: A knowledge base
- Holacracy: A self-management practice
Deliberately Developmental Organizations
Can you create culture and practices that embed personal growth in daily work? Robert Kegan and Lisa Lahey researched companies that did just that and have distilled the key ingredients. When personal and organizational development are skillfully interweaved, they result in a thriving business, satisfied employees and meaningful work.
- Making business personal: Harvard Business Review article.
- Delibrately Developmental Organizations (pdf): Introductionary article.
- An Everyone Culture: The book.
- Self-assessment - Mark Marijnissen
Developmental Psychology researches how human beings grow over time, covering aspects such as effectiveness, leadership, morality, emotional intelligence, cognition, identity and meaning making. Both Reinventing Organizations and Delibrately Developmental Organizations ground themselves in adult developmental theory. Developmental Psychology provides key insights that can be used for personal and spiritual growth.
- Susanne Cook-Greuter’s theory of Ego Development describing 9 levels of how we make meaning.
- Robert Kegan’s five orders of consciousness, describing the complexity of our cognition.
- Terri O’Fallons StAGES model
- Bill Torbert’s Action Inquiry, researching developmental stages of leaders and organizations.
- Spiral Dynamics Integral - An overview of 8 value systems
Integral Theory is a way to integrate multiple perspectives. It describes how theories relate to each other and can be combined. Working with groups, this allows me to invite and integrate the unique wisdom and perspective of every participant. Integral Theory also provides a comprehensive map of human consciousness (states) and development (stages).
- AQAL - An Integral Map: An image of Integral Theory and stages of human development.
- An overview of Integral Theory - Sean Esbjorn-Hargers (pdf): An introduction article
- The Integral Vision - Ken Wilber: An introduction book by the founder.
Therapy & Coaching
- Coaching for Transformation
- Coaching from Presence
- Core Energetics
- ACT: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Wikipedia article, describing the underlying philosophy and guiding principles.
- Get out of your mind and into your life - Steven Hayes (book)
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Action Inquiry
- Art of Hosting
- Tobert’s Action Logics of leaders
Management & Business Strategy
- The Agile Manifesto
- Lean Startup
- Business Model Canvas
- Design Sprint